18 March, 2010

When on Google Earth 88

Since I found Toyls Myrup's Roman Temple[s] in Lebanon over at WOGE 87, may I welcome you to an entirely legitimate WOGE 88 on TSA. Good luck.
Now with even more extra clues!


Since nobody has come up with an answer, I have added another visual clue. This artefact below comes from the site above.

As WOGE 88 is dragging on on a bit, I added yet another visual clue; below is a wider view of the area.



Here are the rules:

Q: What is When on Google Earth? A: It’s a game for archaeologists, or anybody else willing to have a go!

Q: How do you play it? A: Simple, you try to identify the site in the picture.

Q: Who wins? A: The first person to correctly identify the site, including its major period of occupation, wins the game.

Q: What does the winner get? A: The winner gets bragging rights and the chance to host the next When on Google Earth on his/her own blog!

Be the first to correctly identify the site above and its major period of occupation in the comments below and you can host your own!


Have Fun.

18 comments:

luckylibbet said...

OK - no clue - Hadrian's Wall? I don't think so.

But I've been looking every day for someone to tell me what it is. When do you cry "UNCLE" and just tell us?

Geoff Carter said...

. . a bit further south and earlier than that. . .

If nobody gets it after a week, I will put up a visual clue. [Friday].

luckylibbet said...

Thanks! I'll take a peek on Friday then.

Timothy Reid said...

Hey Geoff

It must be Mars, early Martian period?

Geoff Carter said...

Close, but no cigar, it is actually on the neighbouring planet of Earth, not that I should be giving you clues.

It would be regarded as cheating to include sites on other planets such as Mars, Diskworld, Arrakis, or any one of the thousands that are reflected in the mirror of the sea, in a competition called 'When on Google Earth'.

Geoff Carter said...

It seems a long time since I posted WOGE88, [about a week], so here is a third clue; an image of one of the thousands of interesting objects from this important site.

Unknown said...

*bump* Any activity on this WOGE?

Geoff Carter said...

Hi Jim, it's all gone very quiet, so I better give another clue.

I can't tell you that its main occupation is associated with period 29.

Timothy Reid said...

Hi Geoff

Ur

Early dynastic period?

Geoff Carter said...

. . . . Urrr no!
Sorry Tim, wrong country, it's a place from where we get tobacco, vanilla, jade, and mosquitoes.

I will put up another visual clue tomorrow. [Friday]

luckylibbet said...

Madagascar?

Geoff Carter said...

No,sorry it's not there.

Looks like I may need a new clue tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I know I've seen that pot before but I just can't place it. This one is driving me nuts ...
Heather

Geoff Carter said...

Hi Heather, I'm amazed that nobody has got it yet - there are several cryptic clues in my comments, and it is a well known site.

Anonymous said...

Got it, I think ... Los Millares, a Chalcolithic site near Almeria in Spain.

Your clues were way too devious for me, although they did at least confirm that I was looking on the right planet. In my defence, it's been a great many years since I studied European prehistory.

Heather

Geoff Carter said...

Well done!

It is Los Millares,[the thousands] a Chalcolithic[ Cu - atomic no.29] site near Almeria [the mirror [of the sea]] in Spain [from where we get the words for tobacco, vanilla, jade, and mosquito].
Over to you . .

Heather said...

OK, WOGE 89 is now online.
(I don't think we've had this site before, but I confess I'm in danger of losing track).

Heather said...

Oops, I think I messed up that link. It's:
http://woge20.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-on-google-earth-89.html