04 August, 2010

When on Google Earth 101

After a frenetic period of When on Google Earth activity, taking us from Lee's WOGE 93 to the landmark WOGE 100 at the Moore Group in 8 days, welcome to an exciting new century of WOGE at TSA.


Having spotted the Gereza fort, Kilwa Ruins, Kilwa Kisiwani, Tanzania, this is my challenge; be the first to correctly identify the site below, and its major period of occupation, in the comments below, and you can host your own!

Now with extra clue - see comments below!

The rules:


Q: What is When on Google Earth?
A: It’s a game for archaeologists, or anybody else willing to have a go!
Q: How do you play it?
A: Simple, you try to identify the site in the picture.
Q: Who wins?
A: The first person to correctly identify the site, including its major period of occupation, wins the game.
Q: What does the winner get?
A: The winner gets bragging rights and the chance to host the next When on Google Earth on his/her own blog!
Be the first to correctly identify the site below and its major period of occupation in the comments below and you can host your own!
More When On Google Earth
For a list of previous winners see Electric Archaeologist here …


12 comments:

Gary Corby said...

I always read these When On Google Earth posts, but I don't have a hope in Hades of ever solving one.

I'm very impressed with those of you who can.

Geoff Carter said...

Hi Gary
I had thought of doing 'the oldest bridge in the world' - but it's a bit small!

[http://blog.garycorby.com/2010/07/oldest-bridge-in-world.html]

Gary Corby said...

That's a good point. I should have thought to get you to write about how those ancient bridges work. You're the expert on this.

Geoff Carter said...

Gary, I cannot let a statement like that go unchallenged; I do postholes, and matters arising, and I am not really qualified, or insured, to comment on, or design, bridges[!].

wayfinding signage said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Geoff Carter said...

Well boys & girls, I think it is high time for a clue; perhaps this location is proving proverbially obscure, because it is Buddhist!

Timothy Reid said...

Ummmmmmm!

Geoff Carter said...

Hi Tim,
You are right, I think it’s high time for another clue, or at least a review of the evidence;

Clue 1: It is a Buddhist monument
Clue 2: It is in a location that is proverbially obscure
Clue 3: This location is some form of desert.
Clue 4: In the interest of fairness, I invariable pick a site of international significance.

So WOGE is it?

Mauseus said...

Hi,

I think that it is the Shankh Monastery in Mongolia. Founded in 1647 by High Saint Zanabazar (1635-1723) it is located in the Ovorkahangai Aimag near Kharkhorin city.

Geoff Carter said...

Congratulations Mauseus!

It is the Buddhist Shankh Monastery near Kharkhorin city in Mongolia. I very happy to disagree slightly over the dating [1586],I am just pleased somebody worked it out at last, well done and over to you . .

Mauseus said...

Hi,

WOGE 102 is now posted at:

http://mauseus.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html

Good Luck!

archaeology excavations said...

Respected Geoff Carter,

I found your great archaeology related amazing resource

http://structuralarchaeology.blogspot.com/

I have more interesting in archaeology field. I like very much your archaeology resource.

please welcome our archaeology related source

http://archaeologyexcavations.blogspot.com

I had added your great source link from our site

If you like that our source please enter your comments and please add our link from your amazing resource.

Regards,