06 March, 2010

When on Google Earth 85

It has been a while , but having solved Southie Sham's WOGE 84 over at the Moore Group, welcome to WOGE85 at TSA.







Here are the rules:


Q: What is When on Google Earth? A: It’s a game for archaeologists, or anybody else willing to have a go!


Q: How do you play it? A: Simple, you try to identify the site in the picture.


Q: Who wins? A: The first person to correctly identify the site, including its major period of occupation, wins the game.


Q: What does the winner get? A: The winner gets bragging rights and the chance to host the next When on Google Earth on his/her own blog!


Be the first to correctly identify the site below and its major period of occupation in the comments below and you can host your own!
When on Googe Earth Facebook Group here;

Good Luck

8 comments:

Alex O'Brien said...

Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland: while site has earlier occupation, the Norman castle was built by Henry II remaining largely impregnable for four centuries until becoming one of the first castles to succumb to cannon fire during the Wars of the Roses. The forces of the Earl of Warwick pounded it to pieces in 1464. What remains today is the Norman Keep.

Geoff Carter said...

Well Done, Pojomum, it is the Beautiful Bamburgh Castle on the coast of Northumberland.
You have won the honour of hosting the next When on Google Earth.
Good luck

Geoff Carter said...

Hi All,
So far Pojomum has been a bit reluctant to take up their prize.

Please let us know if you need help, etc., or we might need a re-run to avoid breaking the chain.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous said...

How about a 48-hr rule to post the next challenge? Failure to do so allows the most recent host to re-post anew?

Geoff Carter said...

I will post a new WOGE[86], at 12pm local, unless the previous winner comes forward, I hope this is OK . . .

Alex O'Brien said...

Um, I was about to post a new image. Please, bear in mind we're not all in your time zone. It was only yesterday that I got it. The places I wanted to post turned out to not be very decipherable from Google earth so it took me a while to find something.
Also, it was the weekend, I have kids...

Geoff Carter said...

I am very sorry; I clearly acted in haste; I will gladly take my WOGE85 post down post.
Please let me know what you want to do.

Alex O'Brien said...

You are most gracious, Geoff, thank you.

I posted the puzzling image here:
http://ancientworldbloggers.blogspot.com/2010/03/real-where-on-google-earth-86-following.html